Upgrading to SDL Web 8.5 can break your DD4T JMS decaching

Below a story about non-working decaching after upgrading to SDL Web 8.5 CMS.

Project setup

The project I work on has this environment configuration:

  • SDL Web 8 CMS (with update SP1 and Cache Channel Service)
  • DD4T 2.1 based .NET web application
  • ApacheMQ as JMS solution
  • We use DD4T.Caching.ApacheMQ NuGet package
  • Hosted in Azure cloud

Given this setup, everything is configured to flush the Application cache when a Content Manager publishes a Page, Dynamic Component Presentation or Taxonomy from the CMS. This works really well and we achieve the two most important goals: High-performance websites + No outdated content.

Upgrade to Web 8.5 problem

But then we decided to upgrade to SDL Web 8.5 (with a new server). The upgrade process itself is not as painful as it was in the past, but we had an issue: de-caching mechanism did not work anymore. We did the most obvious checks:

  • Check config settings of microservices
  • Firewall settings (ports open?)
  • MQ dashboard (publishers, subscribers, and messages)
  • Check log files for exceptions
  • Review the Topology Management config (java -jar .\discovery-registration.jar read)

Mysteriously, everything was fine. After some WebApp debugging sessions I found the issue. The JMS messages were changed and the TCM URI is now prefixed with '1:'. Maybe SDL decided to include the CacheEventTypeId? Examples:

  • SDL Web 8 sends 17:3565 for pages.
  • SDL Web 8.5 sends 1:17:3565 for pages.
  • SDL Web 8 sends 17:52916:154 for DCPs.
  • SDL Web 8.5 sends 1:17:52916:154 for DCPs

RCA and solving the issue

This causes a lookup issue when looking for depending cache items to flush within the TridionBackedCacheAgent. The agent stores pages in cache with 17:3565 and CCS tries to flush the cache with 1:17:3565. Since we have a custom implementation of the CacheAgent (for either reasons) we could fix it easily by using this code fragment in the CacheAgent:

private Regex RemoveFirstElemWhenWeb85 = new Regex("^(1:)(.*)");

private string GetDependencyCacheKey(string tcmUri)
{
            return "Dependencies:" + this.RemoveFirstElemWhenWeb85.Replace(tcmUri, "$2");
}

This code backward compatible with older version of Web/Tridion as long as you do not have a publication with the ID of 1 :-)

 

Add comment

Loading