Today I took some time to install Windows 8 Consumer Preview and run it within Virtual Box. During installation I wrote down some notes of what I encountered during setup. Here is my simplified list of steps to achieve a working Windows 8.
You can download the Win8 Consumer Preview from the Microsoft site as a ISO image.
1. Install Virtual Box + Extension Pack.
2. Create new virtual machine with OS Windows 8.
3. Choose 2048 MB internal memory for 64 bit version (You can use 1024 for 32 bit).
4. Create Virtual Disk Image with dynamically allocated setting & 20 GB HDD space.
5. After create the disk image, mount the ISO as a virtual CD/DVD station. You can use the 'host' setting when you have burned the image to DVD.
6. Other settings that need to be checked:
- PAE/NX (tab System / Processor)
- IO APIC (tab Motherboard)
- VT-x/AMD-V (tab Acceleration)
- Nested paging (tab Acceleration)
7. Use the Windows 8 consumer preview activation key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
8. Choose 'Custom: install Windows only (advanced)'
9. Proceed installation procedure as you used to do. At the end you can choose to use your Windows Live account or not. I didn't want to use a Microsoft account, I chose to create a local account: admin/admin.
10. After installation it's smart to run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe for installing the Guest Additions. It's useful for drivers and sharing folder with the host.
Hope this helps,